Another Transplanted Southerner

Musings from Miz Mel'nie, a Southern Belle living in the Northeast.

Thursday, August 16, 2007

Why Some Democrats Don't Hate McCain

He was on The Daily Show again tonight - his 10th appearance. The fact that he makes any effort whatsoever to speak to all people, not just the "approved" audience, makes an impact. And, to be perfectly honest, he's actually a nice guy. I met him 15 or 20 years ago, while I lived in the DC area, at National Airport (as it was called back then) and he was standing in line at the gate to check in to a flight to Arizona (can't remember whether it was Phoenix or Mesa or another city). Let me stress this - he was standing in the "normal people" line. Alone. I was catching a flight to I don't remember (probably Birmingham) and recognized him and, since I've always known Congressmen because of Daddy and didn't feel the least bit self-conscious about approaching him, went over and said "Hi". We had a nice little 2 or 3 minute chat and then I left him because I didn't want to annoy him (I figure everyone has their limit!) and my impression was a good one - a nice guy, not condescending to me (although I'm a blonde!), and generally likeable. I do realize that today is different than 15 - 20 years ago, but I do hope he has maintained his cordiality toward us people that stand in the "normal people" line - I get the impression that he has. And that's why some Dems don't hate him - he's too likeable!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home